Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Change and will power

"Just be yourself."

That is one of the common phrases that we usually hear people say. Or maybe one that we usually use. I know I use it a lot, for I believe that trying to be someone else would not make us happy.

However, no matter how much we need to be ourselves, there are always some things about ourselves that need to be changed. For example bad habits, shopaholics, etc.

I need to change something too. It's not a big thing, really, but I know it's not good, and so I want to change it.

So, what do I want to change about me?

Jeng jeng jeng...~! (suspense tak?)

I want to stop consuming coffee.

I am a coffee addict. I love coffee for its taste and its smell. And maybe sometimes for its effect on my appear-to-be-always-sleepy brain. The stronger the coffee, the better. Not too strong though; I cannot really take espresso shots. I love to sip a cup of coffee till its last drop. My favorite coffee is Starbucks low-fat Caramel Macchiato, but I also enjoy strong Nescafe and kopi Muar 434. Although I love coffee, I can only consume 1 cup of coffee per day since I cannot really tolerate its caffeine.

However, despite my love for coffee, I want to stop consuming it because it causes bad effects on me. Three bad effects, actually. One is, despite giving me instant caffeine boost after drinking it, I will start shaking and shivering once the effect goes away. It usually happens about 3-4 hours after drinking it. And following that (bad effect #2), I will feel very, very hungry. And if I consume more than a cup per day (bad effect #3), I will feel nausea. The same feeling also happens after a period of constant one-cup-per-day coffee consumption.

So, given the bad effects, I want to stop drinking coffee. Plus, I have read some articles somewhere saying that caffeine would make you fat (or at least, not helping in making you lose weight). Since I have fat genes in my genome, coffee is not helping in keeping the gene inactive. So, that's it. Byebye coffee.

But, no effort comes without challenges. Same goes with this. This morning I heard a coffee advertisement in the radio. Damn, didn't the advertisement describe coffee as something that is really good? Urgh~ I felt like having coffee right away. But no-no. I have made up my mind. I know I can do this. Byebye coffee.

The temptation reminded me of the movie The Confession of a Shopaholic. How the main character sees all the manneqiuns talk to her into buying all the clothes, shoes, accesories... And it also reminded me of the reality tv show The Biggest Loser. The contestants have to follow a strict diet while still having to see all the cakes, fried chicken, etc. everyday. Wow~ haven't we all fall for a temptation at least once in ourlives.. And when temptations are in front of our eyes, the only thing that could stop it is our will power. Will power, kick in! Wacchaa!

Anyway~~ I hope my will power is strong enough to fight the temptation. I can do this. I know I can. I have succeeded once; in 2003/04 I didn't had a single sip of coffee for a whole year. So I can do this!

Cheers for will power!

4 comments:

masmuni said...

since I'm not taking classes I think I'll be able not to drink coffee

but once classes start and exam weeks (yikes) i know for sure I'll drink it haha

p.s: ak minum kopi utk berak di awal pg huhu, mayb sbb tuh kot kebelakangan ni susah nak berak sbb ak xminum kopi T_T

Adilla said...

Wow I've heard of bad effects that caffeine has on people but reading your detailed explanations makes me rasa kesian la pulak! ><

I guess I'm lucky I'm not adversely affected by caffeine at all but at the same time, I get to enjoy its ability to boost me up in the mornings.

Anyway, good luck in your quest! Also, I want to thank you for introducing me to Kopi Muar 434 cos honestly it's the best!

Fiza Pushie said...

mas: try drinking a mug of plain water every morning, before you consume anything else. After a few days maybe it would help.

adilla: ye~ mmg kesian pon kat i..ni dah dekat 2 minggu tak minum coffee sbb last two weeks start pening bile minum. huhu. And hehe..you're welcome! kopi muar 434 mmg best gile! :D

Ummu Yousuf said...

pushie!!!
hehe..i had the same resolution at the start of the yr..didnt drink much at all masa kat msia..
thot i ws doin relatively well till i kembali menjejakkan kaki ke melbourne..
@_@

(a bottle of coffee currently in full view beside my computer)

Post a Comment